Translate

Sunday 5 April 2015

A face lift

On so many trips to Izu I have various projects that I want to tackle, some big and some small, but one that has been on the top of my list for some time is to sand and wax a set of draws or as they are known in Japanese- tansu.
BEFORE
It is not an expensive antique find that we had unearthed by any means, just a simply made unit made of pine. I imagine the draws held many things for Oba chan over the years and it served her well.  I just felt it was time to give it a little love, so on this past weekend I made it my mission to breath some life and moisture back into this very farmhouse style piece of furniture.



Firstly, I sanded all the draws and frame with a 120 grade sandpaper and then with a finer 320 grade. I then gave it a good vacuum and wipe down. 


At first I wasn't too sure of whether I wanted to use a lacquer or wax and even what colour I should use. What I did want to do is honor the farmhouse look we are going with at Oba chan chi's. In the end I went with Briwax, which claims to be a world famous product from England. We went with the colour "Jacobean."
Left: wax applied & right: no wax
I'm happy with the results!



AFTER

The tansu is not totally finished because as you can see the four draw pulls on the bottom were removed. Over the years Oba chan must have changed them to some nasty cheap pulls. They where a hassle to remove, but they just had to go. I'll be on the hunt for new ones of similar design. When I have completed this project I will update you later with the end result, but I just wanted to show you my progress with this weekend project.

Now I am thinking about what lovely Japanese inspired flower arrangement I can display on top of the tansu. I know it will hold what blooms around Oban chan chi's, as with the change  of seasons brings a different flower to behold in this little part of the world. After sanding all day long and with dark brown wax that has managed to seep into my fingernails, I really need that onsen. However,  before that a girl needs to stop and sample the local treats like a sakura flavoured ice-cream and of course take in the nearby sakura trees that line the riverbank!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.