Translate

Sunday 13 March 2016

Things that make my heart sing

One thing that I can't get enough of is locally home grown, home-made goods and some recycled bargains! One morning we made a road trip to the nearby city of Shimoda to look for a saw horse at the local recycle shop.The last time we were there I picked up some cute blue and white polka dot tea cuts for such a bargain. Let me tell you that I wasn't disappointed on this second visit. 


 What did I score you ask? 

Well behold.... I picked up five small flower patterned bowls known as, kobachi which are traditionally used for pickles; deep stewed vegetables and in my case some cumquats. I'm even thinking they'd be good for ice-cream or sherbet bowls.... petite servings



While this photograph doesn't do this plate justice. The flowers are white camellias with a mint green background with gold accents. I kicked myself that I didn't pick up more, because this beautiful plate was only ¥200!! Don't worry I'll be back for more and just hope no one else discovers them before I get back there. The polka dot bowl is actually a tea cup, but I have it intended for a sugar bowl and it was only......¥30!!!


On our drive back we stopped off at a local farmers market known as, Yorimichi that made my heart sing the moment we stepped in the door. 

When I saw fresh flowers for ¥200 a bunch, I was like hello!

I was so tempted to buy a cherry blossom tree just there on the table, but I am waiting.
Once we walked in we were surrounded by homemade baked bread, jams, pickles, citrus fruits, locally grown rice, tea and green veggies. Just before we were about to pay for our goodies I spied some homemade tofu pudding. Oh my! It's has to be the purest and    creamiest pudding I have ever tasted, with no artificial flavoring. It truly is the little things that can make your day! 


Just behind the yorimichi are rice paddies that are filled with spring flowers at the moment, but come the beginning of May the earth will be churned up and rice planting will begin.





I must add that while we were in Shimoda we drove onto another recycle shop and had some lunch at a nearby historical treasure. I'll be sharing this beautiful building with you next time. Here is a clue....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.