Translate

Sunday 21 August 2016

The other side

                      
I had an idea....to open up and allow more light and and airflow throughout the little farmhouse. Not everyone was onboard with my idea initially, but during some discussions one night the realization that my idea was indeed a brilliant one was soon realized and so the mud wall was finally coming down.

BEFORE- Mud wall behind refrigerator


I forgot to mention that another very worthy reason to remove this wall was due to it's crumbling condition when we pulled the vinyl board off. I know we could have repaired it, but again there was a greater need to bring more light into the area and to also allow for better access from the main living area to the kitchen. 



The end result has really opened up the rooms creating a totally different, but good feeling. It also allows us to walk on one level, instead of sliding the shoji screen open in the main area walking down a step through the genkan and then up again to get to the new kitchen area. I know it's hard to visualize what I am talking about at the moment, but when we share the new kitchen with you and the progress there you may me able to understand what I am talking about. At this point we are happy with the end result. Surprisingly I thought we'd need a sledge hammer to knock the mud wall out, but all that was needed was a hand saw and then a good old shove! It's amazing just how strong mud walls are, with a bamboo frame securing them together.

And you guessed it...feeling dirty and dusty we are off to the onsen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.