Translate

Sunday 23 October 2016

From door to table


Up-cycling one thing into another is something I take great joy in doing. The thought that I can give an object new life and purpose is truly rewarding for me. So when we scored two doors from a demolished house in our local area, I had ideas for them. This is how our doors looked known as the mon or gate to a house before they were removed. Not every house in Japan has these gates, which makes them all the more special. 

Source: Ebina City Official Website

With my trusty sander I set to work and removed years of dirt and dust.


Take a look at this...before & after!


A good sanding underneath...


Here is the front door key, which I don't have the heart to remove because it's the details that we love at Obachan chi's. Just need to be careful when we sit down I guess!


We bought some very affordable black metal table legs from Ikea and simply attached them.


                                                  And then we put it all together!


It's turned out to be a large and useful farmhouse table which doubles as extra bench space when preparing meals.



The wood grain has really come up well by using the same varnish as the floors.


 And it has been wonderful to now enjoy all our meals at a large kitchen table.


The other door was going to re-purposed into a bench seat, but things change and ideas come to me at odd times. Ideas, ideas....yes, I have ideas to use the other door as a barn style door. So I will definitely share details when it's done!


 It's time to now enjoy the persimmons we were given by our neighbours and some kusa mochi (compressed rice cakes) from our local market.

Have you ever up-cycled an item for another use? Do share! 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.